Amti Toor Daal

I was recently introduced to Amti daal, a special Maharashtrian sweet and tangy daal. It has a very distinct flavor added by Goda masala. Goda masala is a special mix of flavor spices particularly sesame seeds, dry coconut, mace and many more. I was lucky enough to receive homemade goda masala from a friend. I am going to treasure my masala till I find my own recipe :)  

Ingredients
Daal
Toor (arhar) daal - 1/2 cup
water - 2 cups
turmeric - 1 tsp
salt - to taste

Seasoning
Mustard seeds - 1tsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Asafoetida - few dashes
Red chillie - 1-2
Chopped onion - 1/2 cup
Chopped tomato - 1/2 cup
Curry leaves - 4-5
Corriander powder - 1 tsp
Goda masala - 1 tsp
Ghee - 2 tbsp

Tamarind - 1 tsp
Jaggery powder - 1 tsp or more as er taste
Cilantro, chopped - 2 tbsp

Method 

  1. Pressure cook contents under daal on high for 4-5 whistles.
  2. Prepare tadka by by cooking ingredients under seasoning. Add coriander masala and and Goda masala in the end to tadka.
  3. Transfer the contents of tadka into the daal and stir.
  4. Add tamarind and jaggery and adjust spices and simmer daal for 10 more minutes.
  5. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve ! 

Comments